This commanding hilltop was first fortified in 960. During the
Middle Ages, it was held by the Archbishop of Salzburg and the lords
of Osterwitz. The present castle was begun in 1570. The
road leading to the hilltop is strongly defended by a system of ditches
This beautifully sited castle was begun in 1348 by Holy Roman Emperor
Charles IV. The high walls of its towers are defended by timber
hoardings. Because of its strength, Karlstejn served as a repository
for the crown jewels.
Berkshire, England Windsor
Windsor was built as a royal castle during the reign of William the
Conqueror and has remained so to this day. The castle consists of
a great round shell-keep (the Round Tower) on a motte overlooking
two baileys. Much of the structure that remains today was built
by Edward III and was heavily restored in the nineteenth century.